Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!




Today is earth day, and it got me thinking. Times have changed so much over the last 40 years. My grandmother used to reuse aluminum foil and grocery bags, and we kids thought that was awful, everyone wanted "new" and we thought it was an "old lady" thing.




In the 1970's the hippies reused things, but we thought it was a matter of need, and most people wanted new things.

I have been bringing my own bags to the supermarket for quite a few years now, and would never go back to those plastic bags, first because of the waste, but second, because my bags are so much nicer .
I started a couple of years ago bringing my own bags for all of my other shopping too, and isn't it nicer to have a new article of clothing in a cloth bag than in one of those plastic ones?
We changed to cloth napkins quite a while ago too, and now I can't stand those flimsy little paper ones. I toss them in the washer when doing a load of clothes, so I am not even wasting soap and water to wash them.

So I guess my grandmother knew more than I did back then, what's next, will my mother have been right about my boyfriends?




Lauren

6 comments:

Nicole's Homemade Treats...The Blog said...

Too funny! I don't know about you, but my mother will NEVER be right about my boyfriends!

Midnightcoiler said...

Good ideas in this post. I like cloth things better than paper as well. Still cut up old cotton clothes to use as rags for cleaning. Happy Earth Day!

My Mother's Garden said...

Happy earth Day!
I like the tips you have shared on recycling and reusing. I, too, like to bring my own bags for shopping. Every little thing we do to recycle and reuse can make a big difference in the long run. Great post!

leapinggazelle said...

Happy Earth Day! I totally agree with you, wonderful post.

Tasi Fashion said...

Great Post!
I completely agree with you!

Valentine Fiberarts said...

I have to agree that cloth is better for cleaning than those store bought paper towels. I have had beautiful tablecloths that we used for years, get tattered and worn. Those made wonderful cleaning cloths and also I used them for drying my glasswear, as there was no lint...well, actually some of them barely had threads left they were so worn.

donna